From the Flood to the Patriarchs – 2319 to 1967 BC12:00 AM on Thursday, Apr 18th, 2013
Noah's descendants and related events.
In time, Shem, Ham and Japheth's descendants multiplied and covered the earth. The gentile nations which exists today, descended from the sons of Japheth.
The sons of Ham were in the area of the Middle East.
Nimrod who was a mighty one (against God) was a descendant of Cush and who was a son of Ham. He was a mighty warrior and his kingdom was located in Babel, the Land of Shinar (Babylon)
The youngest son Shem's decedents were later the Semitic, people of the Middle East.
About 100 years after the flood, the whole earth was of one language. This created quite a problem, because God had commanded that Noah and his family were to multiply and replenish the earth and not stay altogether in one place. They were to go into all the earth to establish their own communities in various locations. Instead, in disobedience, all the people decided to stay in Babylon to build a city out of brick and mortar whose tower would reach into heaven.
The Lord, God, said "behold the people are one. They have one language and one common goal. There is nothing that will keep them from doing whatsoever they put their minds to."
As a result, the Lord confused their language so the people were divided and could not continue to build the city because they no longer were able to understand each other. The various family groups left and migrated in all directions and filled the earth. That is how all the different nations and different languages began.
The city was called Babel because God confused the speech of the people. They could not understand one another in order to continue to build the city.
The incomplete tower in Babel can still be seen today in Iraq.
Questions and things to think about:
- Do you see how today the reverse of the scattering of people is now turning into a re-gathering of the people and to have a common goal, which is to turn against God just like Nimrod?
- What things are happening to reunite the people of the world?
- Have you ever noticed that if two righteous people get together, they can come up with more good ways to glorify God? (If two people who are evil get together, they can cause more trouble together then if they were separated.)
- Can you think of someone in your life that influenced you towards to do good? Explain.
- Can you think of someone who influenced you towards evil? Explain.
- Explain how the company you kept as a child or an adult influenced how you turned out.
- Who is the leader in your life, you or God?
- Would you like to change the direction you are going or continue going in the same direction in which you are in?
- Are you going in God's way or in your own?
Navigating through the Bible on your own can be overwhelming at first and possibly confusing. We are here to guide you in this amazing journey. Feel free to share your answers to the above questions or your enlightened thoughts on our journey together in the comments area below.
Dr. Shirley J. Vaughn D. MIN.
New King James Version (NKJV)
8 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord.
9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts.